Conservation Voters of PA is the statewide political voice for the environment. We elect environmentally responsible candidates to state and local offices, advocate for strong environmental policies, and hold our elected officials accountable to safeguard the health of our communities, the beauty of our state, and the strength of our economy.
Our Poconos Region Field Coordinator is primarily responsible for building a sustainable volunteer advocacy program and managing local partnerships in Pike and Monroe Counties. The Coordinator will report to the Field Director and will serve as the principal point of contact for local candidates, activists, volunteers, partner organizations, and elected officials. The Coordinator’s work will include working to elect environmental champions, drive local policy changes, connect local environmental partners to advocacy support, partnerships, and recruiting and training volunteer environmental advocates. The Poconos Region Field Coordinator will be responsible for lifting up the work of BIPOC allies and organizations in their region and ensuring that issues important to the communities most impacted by climate change and pollution are centered in their work.
- Manage regional volunteer recruitment and engagement to advance policy goals.
- Represent CVPA with local environmental, watershed, and activist groups.
- Identify ways to use CVPA resources to support the work of local environmental and activist groups, particularly BIPOC led and serving groups.
- Utilize those relationships to expand CVPA’s visibility in the region, to build political power, and to win environmental fights
- Implement grassroots tactics to engage prospective volunteers and help to transition them into volunteer leaders
- Mobilize and train volunteer advocates in key legislative districts.
- Become a leader in local coalitions and begin new coalitions and advocacy, and advocate for diverse representation in all groups
- Build relationships with local candidates and elected officials in their region, from municipal and local to state legislative office holders.
- Identify races and potential appointments in which an endorsement or political advocacy work could have a positive environmental and political impact, with a particular emphasis on electing more women and BIPOC candidates who better represent the electorate
- Manage political activities (canvass operations, mail, digital) related to winning campaigns at any level of elected office in their region
- Develop working knowledge of local township and county level environmental policy issues.
- Cultivate experts in policy issues to supplement that knowledge.
- Develop an ongoing list of local policy priorities to use in candidate questionnaires and for accountability work.
- Build relationships with local reporters and influencers.
- Work with digital staff to use email lists and social media tools in their region and connect Delaware River Watershed partner organizations to available digital tools and services.
- Monitor and update local social presence and engage with local groups, activists and candidates.
- Work with Field Director and other Senior Staff to develop action alerts and press releases as needed based on issues related to their region
- Identify prospective top-tier donors among the volunteer pool to introduce to appropriate staff.
- Collaborate with appropriate staff on grant reports and renewals as needed.
The following skills are required for the successful applicant:
- Strong commitment to CVPA’s mission.
- Minimum 1-2 years of relevant experience, including field or community organizing, political campaign work, or issue advocacy campaigning.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate and connect with people.
- Demonstrated commitment to racial justice and equity.
- Collaborative spirit. Must be a dependable team player.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to travel and maintain a flexible work schedule; be willing to work some evenings and/or weekends, as needed
The following skills and experience are preferred for the successful applicant:
- Experience working with stakeholders, advocacy organizations, and candidates.
- Excellent personal organization and time management skills.
Compensation: $45,500. Benefits include medical and dental coverage; 401K with employer match; paid vacation and sick leave; life insurance; and short- and long-term disability coverage.
Position Requirements: This is a full-time position based in either Pike or Monroe Counties. Evening and weekend hours are required, along with significant travel throughout the region. Applicants must have reliable access to transportation. Reimbursement for mileage and/or required travel-related expenses will be reimbursed pursuant to CVPA policy and as required by applicable law.
Submissions: Please submit your cover letter, resume, and contact information for two references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write “FIELD COORDINATOR” in the subject line. Phone calls will not be accepted. Applications are due by close of business on Friday, July 8.
Conservation Voters of PA is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a just, equitable, and inclusive workplace, and encourages people from all backgrounds to apply. CVPA celebrates diversity and is committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills, and to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race; color; sex; sexual orientation; gender identity or expression; age; religion; national origin; ancestry; citizenship status; disability; association or relationship with a person with a disability; use of a guide or support animal because of the blindness, deafness or physical handicap of the user or because the user is a handler or trainer of support or guide animals; familial status; veteran status; pregnancy or related condition; having a GED rather than a high school diploma; or any other basis protected by law. CVPA’s hiring and employment decisions are based solely on merit, qualifications, and business needs.