Conservation Voters of PA is the statewide political voice for the environment. We elect environmentally responsible candidates to state and local offices, advocate for strong environmental policies, and hold our elected officials accountable to safeguard the health of our communities, the beauty of our state, and the strength of our economy.
CVPA is seeking a Policy Analyst to develop and promote policy, advocacy, and educational content for both state and federal legislation. The ideal candidate will be able to conduct in depth and substantive research into various areas of environmental policy. Key job duties involve researching and writing talking points, policy reports,fact sheets, and white papers that can be used internally and in public-facing communications. The Policy Analyst is expected to be a thought leader and expert as it pertains to assigned issue areas and will be called upon to lend their expertise in public presentations, policy hearings, and other high-visibility venues. The Policy Analyst must also conduct their work with an eye towards environmental justice, and identify areas where CVPA can lift up and center BIPOC voices on equity concerns. This position will represent CVPA in multiple coalitions and is expected to work with a broad array of partner organizations to advocate for pro-environmental policies.
Reports To: Political and Legislative Director
- Develop written and verbal content including white papers, fact sheets, memos, talking points, and presentations about the environmental impacts of relevant state and federal legislation
- Develop briefing materials for local, state, and federal policymakers
- Attend lobby meetings with CVPA’s Political and Legislative Director and coalition partners to build legislative relationships and to inform policymakers at all levels about CVPA’s environmental priorities
- Identify ways to use CVPA resources to support the work of grassroots and grasstops groups as well as state and federal legislators
- Support the Political and Legislative Director on political and electoral work, including endorsements, candidate research, and political outreach programs
- Conduct research and analysis and synthesize peer reviewed and expert white papers on the impacts of both climate change and localized environmental issues in Pennsylvania
- Participate in, and potentially lead, environmental and advocacy coalition groups as needed
- Support CVPA’s communications team by developing timely earned, digital, and social media content as needed
- Work with other CVPA departments to conduct outreach to stakeholders, including experts, coalitions, partner organizations, and civic leaders as necessary
- Track and monitor statewide, federal, environmental and industry news relevant to assigned issue areas and attend agency hearings, community events, and conferences
- Present CVPA’s position and available resources on key environmental policies to legislators and staff, as well as, in public forums
The following skills are required for the successful applicant:
- Minimum of 2-5 years of relevant professional experience including policy, environmental, political, or legislative work (graduate studies may be included)
- Demonstrated ability to analyze and problem solve complicated material and present it to a general audience
- Demonstrated ability to meet tight deadlines, and an ability to respond rapidly to breaking news and legislative maneuvers
- Collaborative spirit. Must be a personable, dependable team player.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Strong commitment to CVPA’s mission
- Demonstrated commitment to racial justice and equity.
The following skills and experience are preferred for the successful applicant:
- Master’s degree preferable in public policy, science/technology policy, or environmental management
- Experience working with stakeholders, advocacy organizations, and press, and media platforms
- Excellent personal organizational and time management skills.
- Strong knowledge of Pennsylvania’s policy and political landscape
Compensation: $50,000-55,000 depending on qualifications
Position Requirements: This is a full-time remote position based in Pennsylvania, however frequent travel to Harrisburg will be required. Evening and weekend hours and frequent travel within the state and to Washington, DC may be required. Applicants must have a car and a valid driver’s license.
To Apply: Please submit a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to Caylee Duskey at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: “Policy Analyst” no later than March 5, 2023. No phone calls please.
Conservation Voters of PA is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a just, equitable, and inclusive workplace, and encourages people from all backgrounds to apply. CVPA celebrates diversity and is committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills, and to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race; color; sex; sexual orientation; gender identity or expression; age; religion; national origin; ancestry; citizenship status; disability; association or relationship with a person with a disability; use of a guide or support animal because of the blindness, deafness or physical handicap of the user or because the user is a handler or trainer of support or guide animals; familial status; veteran status; pregnancy or related condition; having a GED rather than a high school diploma; or any other basis protected by law. CVPA’s hiring and employment decisions are based solely on merit, qualifications, and business needs.